It has been a hard few days. I’m feeling exhausted and discouraged.
Bo’s fever is back. It’s been about 14 hours, but thankfully it’s not as high as it was before and is responding better to Tylenol. They took some new blood cultures this morning and we are praying they are negative for a bacterial infection.
The biggest disappointment of the last 24 hours was learning that Bo’s new central line they placed last Monday for dialysis needs to be surgically replaced today. Last night, as our nurse was changing his dressing, she noticed that the line wasn’t sutured to keep it in place while it heals. They called the department that did the original surgery and someone came to take a look and he couldn’t explain why it didn’t have a suture, but unfortunately, it had been pulled out a little. Sadly, they had to put a temporary suture in in the middle of the night and it was so sad. Bo doesn’t understand why any of this is happening, and it broke my heart to see him in pain. They are scheduling a surgery for today to replace it and put a suture in. We don’t have a time yet, but will update when we do.
Bo’s breathing continues to be labored at times. They have taken x-rays to see what could be happening, but don’t have any good explanations at this time.
Yesterday morning Bo’s blood pressure started to drop significantly and they noticed that his heart rate was high. They realized that they had successfully drained him of any excess fluid he had and now are dehydrating him. The good news is is that he doesn’t have any excess to give, the hard part is now figuring out how much to take to keep him from retaining fluid but not to take too much as to dehydrate him. The re-hydration process has been slow and that’s been frustrating. I know there’s a reason behind doing it slowly, but I just wish he felt better sooner. The dehydration also made his liver numbers go up slightly, which scared me a bit. I was hoping we’d only see them go down, but they said it’s to be expected in this situation. I’m just ready to see some real changes and him heading in the right direction.
We are expecting his CMV results sometime this morning to determine whether or not he will need the plan B treatment or will stay the course with the anti-viral he’s on. Please pray that the right decision is clear and that God gives wisdom to our doctor and she determines the best course of treatment and that Bo is responsive to it.
If I’m honest, I’ve reached a point where I don’t know what to pray anymore. I just find myself crying out for Jesus to have mercy. Will you pray for our strength and faith? I’m feeling at my end right now.